Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sisters & brothers

I don't have a sibling. Did I miss having one? Not particularly. Being the lone child, I'm the pampered one. I got all the love & affection my parents could give. I got almost everything what was reasonable to ask for. I fared well in academics as well as in extra-curricular activities. But for long, I didn't have any body to share things which you wouldn't normally share with your parents. I had a good friend circle but still it wasn't close enough to penetrate my thoughts -- me being a typical Cancerian. I mostly tried to figure out everything by my self. Be it issues related to life, adolescence, family fights, studies, comics -- anything and everything. My parents were there for me always, all the time. And I just loved the growing up period. I used to hang out with my father for a very long time. For shopping, for a cup of coffee, even for a walk beside the lake, I went out with my dad! We shared an amazing chemistry. And mom was there to put us right back on earth when we both of us shopped too extravagantly or didn't get something to suit her tastes. That was just so much fun. So, I never really missed having a brother or a sister.

Luckily, I have a few cousins with whom I spent many of my school vacations. Out of them, I have 3 loving sisters. And I love them all. Today, the youngest one -- A, chatted with me for the first time on Google Talk. She had added me a few days ago on Orkut (with a caution though -- not to tell her mom about it). She used all the short words in vogue today and the related lingo. I kind of enjoyed it. Before this we had never really 'talked' with each other apart from the usual bro-sis talks in front of relatives -- Hi, how're you? How're studies? Exams? Work? Job theek hai na? Aur mujhe kya karna chahiye? Kuch guide karo na bhaiya... Blah.

Today, we talked something different. She asked me whether I remember her birthday or not. I quickly checked up on her Orkut profile and blurted out the date to her surprise. I later found out that she's turning 18 years next month. I was taken aback for a moment. She! My little sister has grown up to 18! Man. I calculated my age and suddenly felt old -- turning 25 years in a couple of months! Anyway, she wanted to talk. And so we did. You might have already guessed. She told me about her boyfriend on my constant query. She was hesitant first but then poured her feelings like anything. 2 boyfriends, one whom she loves, one who loves her, 1 year into it. Advice bhaiya, advice! Well, feeling happy that she could trust me for not telling about all this to her mom, I gave her some advice (actually, in these matters, no advice works and it is quite pointless but anyway). Before she could even thank me or ask some more, her mom came nearby and she quickly logged off.

I thought what would it have been to have a sister. I had previously had such long talks with my other cousin sister, another A. We'll leave this for future musings though. But something happened today. I don't know what.

7 comments:

Sowmya :) said...

Hey there! Nice blog u have here. and coincidentally we have the same name for our blogs :) and i thought i found something really unique to name! Ciao, have a fun day

RahulG said...

Hey Sowmya! Thanks for the visit. You have a nice blog as well. Names -- well! Just goes on to show that there are others who share the same philosophy of life. Yeah ma'am? And btw, apart from your hubby, I read the post as well. Nicely written.

Cheers!!
Rahul

RahulG said...

@Sowmya

Have you tried that awesome chocolate place on the Harrington Road, ahead of SS?

Unknown said...

heyy..!! i really like the way u have expressed the relationship of a brother and a sister.. although i have a sister but yes i can understand how u must have felt when she told u about her bf.. i felt the same..it is very difficult to express in words..u are very confused as to how to react to the whole thing, coz u dont want to spoil it fir her at the smae time you get very protective abt it..when u yourslef have gone through the same phase but when it comes to ur siblings you get very protective.. i dnt knw..i think this is what a sibling relationship is...

RahulG said...

Thanks for your thoughts Devika. I guess you hit the nail right on the spot.

-- Rahul

Sowmya :) said...

Hey...r u attending the Chennai Bloggers meet on sunday???

RahulG said...

No dear. I wanted to attend but I'm travelling on Sunday -- going back to Delhi.