Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Are there any alternative pronunciations?

Well, we Indians have a way with words, even if the rest of the (western) world thinks otherwise. ;)

Sameer Mishra, a 13-year old boy of Indian origin, has won the title at the 2008 Scripps National Spelling Bee, as reported here. He correctly spelt the word guerdon -- meaning 'something that has different language roots'.

I keenly watch this contest whenever it comes on TV. This is the story for the past several years. I also take pride in the fact that my spelling sense isn't that bad and wish (still) that something of this sort should be there in India as well. I just love this show. And what amazes me is the cornucopia of wordpower which these lads have. Every year, Indians rule the roost over there. If you have watched this show, you'll understand the part when the participants ask the judges in their heavy accents, rolling their tongues: 'Are there any a(w)lter(r)native pronunciations?' or 'May I have the language of origin please.' Then they go on to spell even the toughest words you could ever think of, with utmost ease -- A-P-P-O-G-G-I-A-T-U-R-A. Ha! It's damn interesting. That's what Anurag Kashyap spelt to win the 2005 contest by the way. How I wish to participate in one of these contests ...

No comments: