Saturday, May 10, 2008

Bas 2 minute!

Most of you who have grown up in 80s and 90s would be familiar with one of the most useful inventions made in the history of food – especially for bachelors – guys and gals alike. Yes, I’m talking about that loyal yellow packet peeping out from one of your kitchen drawers or shelves – Maggi instant noodles!


Unlike in relationships when you start taking your partner for granted you may end up on the losing side – with Maggi, you can be rest assured. Maggi has formed an unending, loyal relationship in almost each bachelor’s life even though we don’t realize the importance of this heavenly snack, which doubles and triples its job by not just acting as an in-betweens but also as a trustworthy companion for breakfast, lunch and dinner and oh those mid-night cravings.

I stand in gratitude to a noble man named Julius Maggi, who was the founder of Maggi Company in the year 1872 in Switzerland – though the Maggi noodles came some time later.

It has saved one too many from numerous crisis situations by acting as the noble saviour. When you doubt your cooking abilities or feel too lazy to get up and cook something elaborate, what comes to mind first? Think Maggi – and it’ll be there – bas 2 minute! (It takes a bit more than 2 minutes though – but hey, who’s complaining!)

Even the dhabas lined outside my hostel in Delhi have mastered the art of cooking Maggi and we sometimes zero-in on a dhaba who makes the better Maggi . Every other evening, post classes, Maggi remains my favourite.

Recipes

Although Maggi Noodles page on Wikipedia lists down more than 20 types of formulations, my personal favourite remains Maggi Masala – some things are best left original. You open the packet, break the cake into 4 parts, put them into boiling water, add the taste-maker and start stirring (the contents of course). And voila! In about 2 minutes or 4, if you’re like me (I like to give some ‘extra time’), it’s there – the fruit of labour, your very own yummy noodles now smartened up to take a lovely shape! If you like, you can sprinkle some oregano on top of it, like I used to do when I was in Pune, to make it taste even tastier. Right Akshaya?

And oh, I like it sans any vegetables or elaborate recipes – it’s meant to be simple, without any pomp and show, so keep it simple stupid (KISS principle)! Besides that I love it if there’s a little (mind you just a little) water left in the noodles. Umm ... I can smell it!

Maggi also demonstrates with great efficiency how coiled things in life ease out when put in boiling water.

Marketing Gyaan

What Xerox is to photocopier and Colgate to toothpaste, Maggi is to noodles in India. And this is no idle boast. “Indians eat most Maggi noodles in the world," said ex-Chairman and Managing Director of Nestle India, Carlo Donati, not too long ago.

It was Donati who brought the instant noodle brand to the country during his short stint in the early 1980s. Maggi went on to create a whole new product category and caught the fancy of kids across the country in no time. It made the phrase ‘Bas 2 minute’ iconic. It wooed mothers with the promise of ‘fast to cook and good to eat’ snacks. It added that bit of ‘different’ to the popular ketchup. And offered 'health bhi, taste bhi' through its no-MSG soups.

To conclude

Well, nobody can truly measure the and express the impact of Maggi on a bachelor’s life and one blog-post is just too insufficient for that. It is just a small way to pay my tributes to one of the most important foods of a bachelor’s life.

[Oh! My roomie has woken up and is going to the kitchen. I ask him, lunch plans? With a grin on his face, he replies, Maggi!]

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Good observation.. infact very true..

8 by 52 said...

Hey, we have never had Maggi at the dining table wala dhaba, na?

RahulG said...

Ummm ... I tried it a couple of times. It wasn't that good. I didn't like the preparation. We can try again though.

AB said...

I didn't know you liked Maggi that much to write about it...

I know one Maggi who's a polish girl :)

RahulG said...

He he :)
Dude, you've always had food at home till date, unlike me. At home, it's hardly that popular. That's the sole reason i believe.

And you never told me about any Polish girl, eh!

Braveheart said...

He He, of course :)
Those were the nights and days! How about Maggi with egg bhurji on top? You didn't like that I think :)

Maggi surely is a wonderful thing. I agree!

RahulG said...

@ Braveheart
Yeah, I'm not too fond of egg bhurji on top of maggi. But it's fine for a change.

Oh btw, I had chicken maggi for lunch today, topped with my fav oregano! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree that some things are best left original....Maggi reminds me of sleepless, working-to-meet-deadline nights and impromptu meets with hungry friends....
Nice read.

RahulG said...

Hey Amrita(c), thanks for droppin' by. Yeah, Maggi is definitely one of those 'original things'. I just love it! Btw, your blog looks delicious -- would check out soon.

Anonymous said...

Yeee so true. Maggi's my drug. I wish it wasn't harmful for health :( being a heath freak i m always torn apart between wellness and maggi! Someone help!

p.s. nice blog! :)